Colonel Larry H. Shaw is commander of the 434th Air Refueling Wing, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Indiana. He commands the largest KC-135R Stratotanker unit in the Air Force Reserve Command. The 434th ARW is manned by nearly 1,900 military, civilian and contractor personnel and equipped with two flying squadrons operating 16 aircraft. The 434th ARW also has a unique role supporting both the Single Integrated Operational Plan and conventional tanker missions.
Colonel Shaw earned his commission in 1988 from Reserve Officer Training Course at the University of Nebraska. He then attended Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training at Mather AFB, California. After completing KC-135 Combat Crew Training School at Castle AFB, California, he began his first operational assignment as a KC-135 crewmember in the 920th Air Refueling Squadron at Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan. In 1992 he transferred to the 97th Air Refueling Squadron at Malmstrom AFB, Montana as a KC-135R Instructor/Evaluator Navigator. To prepare AMC for the future, in 1994 he helped develop the three person cockpit program, preparing flight crews for a modified KC-135 flight deck without a navigator. In 1995 he re-established the tanker task force for Operation Provide Comfort at Incirlik AB, Turkey. He completed his tour at Malmstrom as the Chief of Training Flight.
In 1996, he left active duty and joined the 72nd Air Refueling Squadron at Grissom as a traditional reservist. He attended pilot training at Laughlin AFB, Texas in 1997. After completing Combat Crew Training at Altus AFB, Oklahoma he returned to Grissom and served as the assistant chief pilot, chief of tactics, chief of mission development, and operations officer. He finished his tour at Grissom as the 434th Operations Support Squadron commander. In 2013 he took command of 927th ARW Operations Group at MacDill AFB, Florida. In 2015 he became Deputy Director of Air, Space, and Information Operations at Robins AFB, Georgia. He is a command pilot with more than 5,700 flying hours and has deployed in support of Operations Joint Endeavor, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, among others.
Colonel Shaw is married to his high school sweetheart Kris; together they have two children, a son-in-law, and two granddaughters!
1988 Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, University of Nebraska
1996 Squadron Officer School, correspondence
1993 Air Command and Staff College, correspondence
2012 Air War College, correspondence
- December 1988 – Oct 1989, student, specialized undergraduate navigator training, Mather AFB, California.
- February 1990 – May 1990, student, KC-135 combat crew training, Castle AFB, California.
- May 1990 – October 1992, navigator/instructor navigator, 920th Air Refueling Squadron, Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan.
- October 1992 – May 1994, instructor/evaluator navigator, 97th Air Refueling Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Montana.
- May 1994 – March 1996, chief of training flight, 91st Air Refueling Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Montana.
- March 1996 – August 1996, instructor/evaluator navigator, 72nd Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Indiana.
- August 1996 – October 1997, assistant chief navigator, 74th Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Indiana.
- October 1997 – October 1998, specialized undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
- November 1998 – February 1999, KC-135 combat crew training, Altus AFB, Oklahoma.
- February 1999 – March 2004, assistant chief pilot, co-pilot/aircraft commander, Grissom ARB, Indiana.
- March 2004 – December 2007, chief tactics, instructor pilot, 74th Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Indiana.
- December 2007 – October 2009, chief of mission development, 434th Operations Support Squadron Grissom ARB, Indiana.
- October 2009 – June 2011, operations officer, 74th Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Indiana.
- June 2011 – June 2013, commander, 434th Operations Support Squadron, Grissom ARB, Indiana.
- June 2013 – Mar 2015, commander, 927 Operations Group, MacDill AFB, Florida.
- Mar 2015 – June 2016, Deputy Director of Air, Space and Information Operations (Mobility) Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Georgia
- July 2016 – present, commander, 434th Air Refueling Wing, Grissom ARB, Indiana.
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight Hours: over 5,700
Aircraft flown: KC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leave cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one oak leave cluster
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one oak leave cluster
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant August 22, 1988
First Lieutenant August 22, 1990
Captain August 22, 1992
Major October 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 2007
Colonel July 16, 2013
(Current as of August 2016)