|COLONEL CHRISTOPHER T. AMEND|
Col. Christopher T. Amend is commander of the 434th Operations Group, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind. He is responsible for the day-to-day operational training and overall management of two KC-135R Stratotanker squadrons operating 16 aircraft and an operations support squadron. The 434th OG also has a unique role supporting both the Single Integrated Operational Plan and conventional tanker missions.
Col. Amend received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1986 after graduation from Pacific Lutheran University, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in elementary education. He entered pilot training at Reese Air Force Base, Texas, and was assigned to the 906th Air Refueling Squadron, Minot Air Force Base, N.D. He transferred to the Air Force Reserve in 2001, where he flew KC-135s and has held assignments ranging from chief of tactics to chief, Mobilization Branch, Force Generation Center, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command. He is a command pilot with more than 6,000 flying hours and has deployed in support of Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Northern Watch, Southern Watch, Provide Comfort, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
1986 Bachelor of Arts degree in elementary education, Pacific Lutheran University, Wash.
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2010 Masters of Science in Leadership, Southwestern College, Calif.
2012 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, by correspondence
1. April 1987 - April 1988, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. April 1988 - January 1993, KC-135A copilot, aircraft commander, 906th Air Refueling Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
3. January 1993 - April 1995, E-3B/C aircraft commander, instructor pilot, evaluator pilot, 965th Airborne Warning and Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
4. April 1995 - April 1997, E-3B/C formal school instructor, evaluator pilot, flight commander, chief of training, 966th AWACS, Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
5. April 1997 - April 2001, KC-135R/T/RT chief of training, chief of standardization and evaluation, receiver tanker instructor/evaluator/special operations, 384th ARS, McConnell AFB, Kan.
6. April 2001 - November 2007, KC-135R/T assistant operations officer, chief of tactics, chief of mission and personnel scheduling, 18th ARS, McConnell AFB, Kansas
7. November 2007 - June 2008, commander 931st Operations Support Flight, McConnell AFB, Kan.
8. June 2008 - December 2009, director of operations and training, 18th ARS, McConnell AFB, Kan.
9. December 2009 - September 2010, chief, Mobilization Cell, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
10. September 2010 - November 2011, chief, Mobilization Branch, Force Generation Center, Forces Division, HQ AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
11. November 2011 - Present, commander, 434th Operations Group, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 6,000 military hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, KC-135 A/R/Q/T/RT, E-3B/C, B-707 and TC-18
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Services Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one device
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with one device
AF Longevity Service with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 'M' Device
AF Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 5, 1986
First Lieutenant Nov. 5, 1988
Captain Nov. 5, 1990
Major July, 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 30, 2004
Colonel Oct. 3, 2011.
(Current as of December 2012)