|CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT KAREN PERKINS|
Chief Master Sgt. Karen Perkins is the command chief master sergeant of the 434th Air Refueling Wing, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind. She is the primary adviser to the commander on all enlisted issues including the health, welfare, morale, mission effectiveness and proper utilization of more than 1,400 men and women. The 434th ARW is the largest KC-135R Stratotanker unit in the Air Force Reserve Command with two flying squadrons operating 16 aircraft. The 434th ARW also has a unique role supporting both the Single Integrated Operational Plan and conventional tanker missions.
Perkins joined the Air Force in 1982 as a jet engine mechanic. After completion of basic military training,, she was assigned to the 96th Field Maintenance Squadron, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas. She transferred to the Air Force Reserve in 1987, where she became a first sergeant and helped stand-up the first reserve associate airborne warning and control squadron. Additionally as a reservist, she helped stand-up a reactivated regular Air Force AWAC squadron and was also a member of the inaugural Maintenance Standardization Evaluation Program Team, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga. Perkins has held assignments ranging from jet engine mechanic to group superintendent. She has experience working on B-52, KC-135 and KC-10 aircraft and has deployed in support of Operations Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
1985 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, March AFB, Calif.
1988 NCO Leadership School, by correspondence
1993 NCO Academy, by correspondence
1995 Associate of Applied Science in aircraft maintenance technology, Community College of the Air Force
2000 Senior NCO Academy, by correspondence
2000 Bachelor of Science degree in professional aeronautics, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2000 Associate of Applied Science in professional aeronautics, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2000 Associate of Applied Science in personnel administration and human resource management, CCAF
2006 Master of Arts degree in Leadership, University of Oklahoma, Okla.
2010 Chief's Leadership Course, Robins AFB, Ga.
2011 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, by correspondence
2012 Command Chief Orientation, Robins AFB, Ga.
1. November 1982 - January 1983, student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas.
2. January 1983 - March 1983, student, technical training school, Chanute AFB, Ill.
3. March 1983 - December 1983, jet engine mechanic, 96th Field Maintenance Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas.
4. January 1984 - July 1994, jet engine technician, 22nd FMS/942nd Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
5. July 1994 - December 1997, flight chief, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
6. December 1997 - June 2005, first sergeant, 513th Maintenance Squadron/507th Logistics Support Squadron/507th Maintenance Operations Flight, Tinker AFB, Okla.
7. June 2005 - June 2008, lead evaluator, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
8. June 2008 - July 2011, chief enlisted manager/group superintendent, 76th Aircraft Maintenance Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
9. August 2011- Present, command chief master sergeant, 434th ARW Grissom ARB, Ind.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with eight devices
National Defense Service Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hourglass and 2 "M" devices
2004 First Sergeant of the Year, 507th Air Refueling Wing
2003 First Sergeant of the Year, 507th Air Refueling Wing
2001 First Sergeant of the Year, 507th Air Refueling Wing
1999 First Sergeant of the Year, 513th Air Control Group
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Staff Sergeant Jan. 1, 1988
Technical Sergeant July 1, 1995
Master Sergeant Nov. 1, 1997
Senior Master Sergeant Oct. 1, 2000
Chief Master Sergeant Sep. 1, 2008
(Current as of December 2012)